East Midlands Airport launches COVID-19 relief fund
East Midlands Airport (EMA) is offering volunteers and financial support to local community and voluntary organisations to help with the Coronavirus relief effort.
Building on the strong links the airport has with community groups in the region, this new 'package' will specifically help with the COVID-19 fight-back, supporting people in most need.
Voluntary, community and charitable organisations that are helping people during the pandemic are invited to complete a simple online application form to request a share of an initial £26,000 fund and/or voluntary help from airport staff. Many airport workers have expressed an interest in applying their skills to support local causes. EMA is particularly keen to hear from local foodbanks and other groups that are helping the most vulnerable.
Chris Hayton, East Midlands Airport’s Corporate Affairs Director, says: “The Covid-19 outbreak has hit certain people and communities harder than others. Those most affected are individuals whose work has dried up, families who rely on free school meals and people who already use foodbanks. While the government has announced an unprecedented package of economic support for those whose jobs and income is affected, people who struggle in normal times have been pushed even further into hardship. Therefore, as a responsible business, and where we can, we want to support our local communities.”
The money made available by the airport has been re-channelled from its Community Fund which, in normal times, in ring-fenced for local community groups if they can demonstrate their cause adds social value. Grants of up to £2000 are awarded to projects that have a long-lasting community, social or environmental benefit. To date, over £1.1m has been awarded to 1384 local causes.
To apply for a grant to assist with Coronavirus support work in the community, please visit https://eastmidlandsairport.typeform.com/to/NuXSRS
Guidance for applicants
Please read the following which provides a useful steer for you if you're considering applying for funds.
What is the COVID-19 Community Relief Fund?
- In this time of national crisis East Midlands Airport has launched a COVID-19 Community Relief Fund to help local community groups and charities who are delivering much needed support to those most in need, the vulnerable and people who are isolated.
- We anticipate high numbers of applications and unfortunately it is ulikely that we will be able offer money to everyone who applies during this first round of funding.
Who can apply?
- Local community and voluntary groups, charities, religious organisations, parish / town councils or social enterprises, within the local area (a more detailed summary can be found on the application) that are providing support to vulnerable people during the COVID-19 pandemic.
How much can you apply for?
- There is no cap on the amount you can apply for. However, we want to support as many causes as possible so please only apply for an amount proportional to the task you want to complete. It may not be possible to pay the full amount that you apply for.
What is the money to be spent on?
- Grants are awarded to provide funds for supplies and equipment, publicity materials, or other critical items that are required to enable you to deliver your COVID-19 emergency response. You must be able to describe how an emergency grant will maintain / enhance your service. Money should not be used for ‘business as usual’ activities - unless these support vulnerable people.
How many times can I apply?
- We can only accept one application per organisation.